Monday, May 31, 2010

When?

When did it happen? When did I suddenly become 'athletic'? Well, I can say that I'm an athlete, but I still question my level of athleticism. When?

When did I start drinking protein drinks instead of soda? When did i start finding healthy alternative to yummy gu chomps?

I surprise myself! Three years ago a journey began...like life in general, I didn't know I had trekked a new path. My BFF asked me to join her for a 5K at Disney; I laughed of course because 3.1 miles is for people trained to do so. I wasn't 'fit', and I couldn't imagine being so. For some reason, I said yes. It was a long three miles; she left me after 100 feet. I was shocked that I finished, and I wanted to do it again.

Later in 2007, I did a 6.5K at Disney (Tower of Terror), a night race, and again, it was almost fun. That hooked me. I started exercising more, and in 2008, I did about 7 races. I even did the Minnie Marathon 15K. 2009 brought a half marathon challenge; I thought I was prepared but not really. I finished it, but I struggled; struggled more than I liked.

In 2009, I decided I was going to do a full marathon, 26.2 miles of craziness. Everyone I know thought I was crazy. Nonetheless, I signed up for Team in Training, and my journey follows in the older blog posts. I learned about sneaker shopping and rediscovering the joy of spandex. I ate Clif Shot Bloks and Gu Chomps. I even got addicted to the Biggest Loser season 8(?).

In January 2010, I completed the full marathon. It wasn't easy. I pushed through that event and finished. Aw, the glory. My pain would ease up quickly, while those I walked for were stuck in hospitals.

This year, I decided to do it again. I am a fast walker, and my new challenge is running a good distance of the half marathon. I joined the Y, and I'm even exploring new 'healthy' smoothies. Scary enough, I may actually learn how to swim and get back on a bike; not turning into a tri-athlete yet.

I've been pushing myself in new ways. I'm learning to train without machines to do strength training, and I just went to my first boot camp class. I've done some yoga too.

So I ask when did this happen? When did I actually get a little excited about going to workout? It's surprising, yet exciting.

What's great is that I can embrace, love it and leave all the sweat behind (or on the road, treadmill, weight machine or studio floor).

So thanks for letting me share my journey with you.

No comments:

Post a Comment