Saturday, November 7, 2009

Tears

When you make average great, your dreams will become a reality!

Today I cried...oh Oprah. This week she did a show on Fearless Women and 'stepping out of the box.' I had it on DVR and didn't watch it until after I walked 13 miles this morning.

This morning was hard. I didn't feel energetic from the start, and I was nervous about 13. It's a half marathon distance, and I've only done that was before (untrained). I felt off, and it most of the time to try to find a rhythm. I just didn't feel great. I was even asked if I should step down to the half marathon in January instead of going the full 26.2. Today I struggled. The inner voices fighting against each other. "I can't do this! My legs are hurting, and it's so far to go!" vs. "I can do this! I am strong!" I felt so tired, hoping that my legs would go numb before I finished.
One of my coaches finished the last couple miles with me...helping bring me home. She was a lifesaver, as I don't know what I would have done by myself. Thanks Jen!

I came home today feeling defeated. Yes, I did the 13 miles, but worried about my ability to do 2 sets of 13 miles in a row. My dad was uplifting, talking about the courage to go out and do the race, and the fact that I could do it if I got my head in the game.

So I came home to watch some TV and rest before attempting a nap. I watched the episode of Oprah. I cried...hard. Women being put in fearful tests (skydiving, roller derby, running into the ocean nude), and how they overcame each one. The sense of accomplishment, of confidence, of rejuvenation. I now have a new picture in my head. I can do it...I can push myself physically and mentally, and I can do this damn race. I don't have to be naturally athletic, tall and skinny, and I don't have to come in first place. I just have to get out there and do it.

Thanks to my friend Julie who posted the quote above on her blog today, as it really touched me today.

2 comments:

  1. I'm so proud of you for hanging in there today. It'll get better, I promise! And you can do this. You are a strong, capable woman and you will cross that finish line!

    ReplyDelete