Thursday, September 17, 2009

First Day of Really Trying Strength Training

How do I begin? Well, it all begin this evening following a snack of nothing (bad idea) to the gym. I geared up and hopped on the treadmill for about 10 minutes. I wanted to get my heart pumping, and I had no clue how I was to fill 60 minutes of cross-training.
After the treadmill of light walking but getting warmed up, I found a little area of floor to explore. My dad gave me some calistenics (sp?) exercises that he still actively uses and are good for that strength training stuff. I looked so amateur, but I had a guide and it's all I needed. I didn't do any crazy jumping around (save some of it for at-home), but I did get dirty on the floor.
I did forward and backward lunges, crunches, push-ups, squats and a couple others that really worked some muscles. I'll probably be aching tomorrow - I can't believe doing a few push-ups really made my arms feel jiggly.
After doing about 20 minutes of training (no weights, no machines), I hopped back on the treadmill for another 10 minutes to make my treadmill experience a mile.
It was an interesting experience. Like I said, I felt like a novice especially with 4 girls there being coached by a couple trainers. I realized later tonite, however, that it doesn't matter. I made the decision to improve my health, and going in with my little cheat sheet was the best way I could get started.
I'm sure I'll be achy, but I made a decision to exercise, to work on my healthiness, and I acknowledge myself for taking that action.

P.S. After the workout I met up with a group of friends that I visit with once a week (great group of women). We watched a movie called "The Shadow Effect" and it really started to connect for me what I'm doing and why I'm choosing to participate with Team In Training. It was a good evening.

No comments:

Post a Comment